Green Bean Casserole
Not your average Green Bean Casserole!
- step-by-step directions
- 1 carrot (peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 yellow onion (peeled, quartered)
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 stalks celery (cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 2 pounds leftover white button mushroom stems and cremini stems
- 1 ounce mixed dried mushrooms
- 10 cups water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic cloves (peeled, minced)
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups mushroom stock
- 1/2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
Green Bean Casserole:
- 2 pounds green beans (ends trimmed)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano (freshly grated, plus more to garnish)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 4 shallots (very thinly sliced)
- canola oil (for frying)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- For the Mushroom Stock: Combine the carrot, onion, bay leaf, celery, mushroom stems, dried mushrooms and water and bring to a strong simmer.
- Simmer until all of the flavor is released from the mushrooms and the stock reduces by about half, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Strain and measure out 2 cups. Reserve the remaining stock for another use. The stock can be refrigerated up to 1 week or frozen and held for up to 6 months.
- For the Mushroom Sauce: In a large braiser over medium-high heat, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and thyme leaves with a pinch of salt and cook until the garlic softens. Stir in the flour and cook until light and golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the mushroom stock then bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally until thickened and reduced slightly, about 40-45 minutes.
- Stir in the sherry vinegar, heavy cream, nutmeg and set aside. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the Green Bean Casserole: Preheat the oven to 400º.
- Bring a heavily salted pot of water to a rolling boil. Drop the green beans in and cook for a few minutes, until tender with a slight crunch.
- Remove from the pot and shock in ice water to stop the cooking.
- Drain then slice the green beans on a bias. Stir sliced green beans into the thickened mushroom stock. Season with salt and pepper if necessary. Top with a thin even layer of panko bread crumbs and Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 20-30 minutes. Remove the green bean casserole from the oven, garnish with more Parmigiano Reggiano and fried shallots.
- For the Fried Shallots: Heat a pot of oil to 370º. Combine the flour and the cornstarch and a pinch of salt in a bowl and add the sliced shallots. Separate the shallot rings to make sure they are all evenly coated.
- Transfer to a strainer and shake off the excess flour mixture before adding to the hot oil. Cook until light golden brown and crisp, about 1 minute. Work in batches so as to not overcrowd the pan.
- Remove the shallots using a metal strainer to a paper-towel lined plate. Season immediately with salt.
- Tip: Save mushroom stems whenever cooking with mushrooms and store in a plastic bag. Freeze mushroom stems until you've accumulated enough to make a mushroom stock!
rate this recipe
Fried Chicken Sandwich
Strawberry Pie with Brown Butter Crust
Spring Quiche with Ham and Asparagus
Palak Paneer (Creamy Spiced Spinach with Cheese)
Pan-Seared Salmon with White Wine Butter Sauce, Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes
Broccoli Cheddar Oatmeal Bake
Roasted Chicken and Pimento Mac and Cheese
Fried Chocolate Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
Stout Ice cream
Foolproof Lemon Bars
Basic Roast Chicken