Turkey Pot Pie
A great way to use up turkey leftovers!
- step-by-step directions
Turkey Pot Pie
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup pearl onions
- 2 carrots (peeled, 1/2-inch dice)
- 2 garlic cloves (peeled, minced)
- 1 russet potato (peeled, 1/2- inch dice)
- 1 head fennel (cored, fronds removed, diced)
- 6 tablespoon butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups turkey stock (recipe below)
- 1 tablespoon tarragon leaves (chopped)
- 2 cups store-bought turkey breast and legs (skin removed, shredded)
- 1 sheet store-bough puff pastry (thawed)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
For the Turkey Stock:
- 1 onion (quartered)
- 1 carrot (peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 head of garlic (halved crosswise)
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 tespoon black peppercorns
- 1-2 pounds turkey carcass, bones and wings
- 1 ham hock
- 2 gallons water
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Heat a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat and add olive oil. Add the pearl onion, carrot, garlic, potato and fennel and cook until the vegetables start to soften. Add tarragon and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the butter and allow to melt, then sprinkle over the flour, stirring until the flour is absorbed. Whisk in the stock, then allow the mixture to come to a simmer and thicken, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the turkey. Season salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the puff pastry on top, tuck in the edges into the pan and cut three slits on top to create vents. Brush the crust with the egg wash and place skillet in the oven until the top is evenly golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve.
- For the Turkey Stock: To make stock, combine the onion, carrot, garlic, fresh thyme, bay leaf, peppercorns, the turkey carcass, bones, wings, and ham hock along with 2 gallons water in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and skim any impurities that rise to the surface. Simmer for 5 hours. Strain through a fine mesh strainer and discard solids.
- Tip: Make ahead of time and freeze before baking for an easy weeknight dinner!
Similar categories: Thanksgiving Turkey Pies & Tarts Thanksgiving Turkey Ingredients Chicken & Poultry Courses & Meals Dinner Holidays & Occasions Christmas Thanksgiving Thanksgiving Leftovers Recipes Alternative Thanksgiving Main Dishes
rate this recipe
Foolproof Lemon Bars
Basic Roast Chicken
Herby Store Bought Tomato Sauce
Quick Tomato Sauce
Classic Tomato Sauce
Green Eggs and Ham Breakfast Crepe
Bologna Fried Rice
Kal's Spicy Salsa
Roasted Portobello Tacos with Cabbage Slaw and Smashed Avocado
Cheddar Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Carrot Cake Poppers